Pearson Associate Technical Specialist in Colombo, Sri Lanka
Associate Technical Specialist
Responsible for specialist and/or complex software engineering tasks in a project team setting. Individual
will be required to work with dynamic teams that are driven by project delivery goals. Individual has to be
a representative for the proper adoption of software development methods and technologies. Should
possess the drive to learn and continuously improve on work performances. Helps and guides the team of
engineers towards building quality software products. All individuals will be required to participate in
periodic appraisal cycles to evaluate and determine advancement opportunities.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Listed below are the typical duties and responsibilities expected of an individual for the job title described
in this document. The items specified below are a guideline of the minimum expectations for the job title;
changes will be made on a case-by-case basis for individuals who show potential to take on more
Other duties may be assigned time to time.
● Responsible for design details under direction from Architect and clearly understand and defend
● Provides leadership to technical resources to meet project deadlines and ensure project
objectives are met
● Provides realistic and accurate estimates and achieve on-time Delivery.
● Ensures that code artifacts produced are of the highest quality, conforming to set or agreed upon
standards. Should advocate such consistency to all members of the team.
● Follows the Pearson processes, agile practices and motivates his/her team members to do so.
● Escalates and communicates issues, risks and concerns to the management on time.
● Makes optimum utilization of engineering tools and technologies to maintain a high productivity
level in the team
● Accepts project delivery responsibilities and demonstrate accountability to leadership.
● Builds competencies in product and technology domain to set expectations.
● Adhere to Pearson values and ethical practices.
● Maintains a sense of individuality in thinking and decision making.
● Is a professional in work aspects as well as conduct with other individuals.
● Drives technology competencies for the organization including initiatives / task force activities.
● Performs effective code and design reviews.
● Supports the engineering management in the recruitment process
This position has no managerial responsibilities.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS and WORK ENVIRONMENT
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This position is located within an office environment and consists of many hours sitting at a computer in a cubicle / open office setting.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
Strong skills and passion in software architecture & design and the desire to learn and continuously improve on the product quality, performance and other non-functional requirements.
Possess advanced knowledge of Object Oriented Programming and Design
Strong technical knowledge and hands-on experience in at least one technology stack (Java/.Net/Mobile etc.) and good working knowledge of open source tools and technologies.
Hands on experience on RDBMS and/or NoSQL tools and technologies.
A good understanding of Software Engineering Best Practices.
Strong and effective interpersonal and communication skills (including English language skills) and the ability to interact promptly and professionally with teams across different time zones.
Follows thePearson processes,agile practices and motivates his/her team members to do so.
Strong technical knowledge on CI/CD tools and technologies
Provision of in-depth technical skills to fix ad hoc incidents/problems, mentoring and support DevOps teams to ensure best practice.
Ability to work in a team environment collaboratively with positive attitude
Desirable Experience or Knowledge on the following areas:
Architectural and Design Patterns
Web Application Development
UI / UX Technologies
Source control systems
Unit testing and test automation frameworks
Continuous integration and continuous deployment tools and technologies
Web and Application Servers ( Weblogic , Tomcat , IIS)
Web Services - RESTful Web Services , SOAP Services
Database design and programming
Responsive Web Design
PREFERRED CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
Oracle Certifications ( Java , Middleware , Database , Operating Systems)
Certified Scrum Developer ( CSD)
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
Individual should possess a Bachelor's degree in Computing or Information Technology. Individuals who have a Bachelor's degree in Mathematics, Physical Sciences, or a specialization in the Engineering field will also be considered.
Minimum five (5) years of experience in software engineering and design.
Primary Location: LK-1-Colombo
Work Locations: LK-Colombo-Orion City Rigel Bldg Orion City Rigel Bldg No 752 Dr. Danister De Silva Mawatha Colombo 900
Organization: Technology & Operations
Employee Status: Regular Employee
Job Type: Standard
Shift: Day Job
Job Posting: Oct 12, 2018
Job Unposting: Ongoing
Schedule: Full-time Regular
Req ID: 1813508
Pearson is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer and a member of E-Verify. All qualified applicants, including minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.